- PREPARATION OF GIFT BASKET:
- In a 6 cup glass mason jar, carefully add beans in layers starting with red kidney beans and ending with pinto beans.
- Place unwrapped bouillon cubes on pinto beans and cover with dried mushrooms.
- Close lid and secure over mushrooms.
- In a clear bag or sachet, layer black pepper, parsley and minced onion. Secure bag to jar with ribbon.
- Arrange in a gift basket with two cans of diced tomatoes, a baguette and wedge of Parmesan cheese.
- PREPARATION OF BEAN CHILI MEAL (Cooking Instructions):
- Remove dehydrated mushrooms and bouillon cubes from top of jar.
- Empty all of the beans, peas and lentils into a large cooking pot and cover with water to a level 2 inches over the beans.
- Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, skim and discard foam. Set aside for 2 to 3 hours.
- Once beans have hydrated and softened, drain and rinse them. Add 10 cups of water, bouillon cubes, seasonings, mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 to 2 hours until beans are tender. Adjust seasoning with additional salt if desired.
- Split the baguette, shred the cheese. Cover baguette halves with cheese, melt cheese on the baguette in a hot oven and serve with remaining cheese to garnish chili.
Calories 450, Carbohydrates 77g, Cholesterol 0.97mg, Fat 3g, Fat Calories 25, Fiber 23g, Protein 31g, Saturated Fat 0.51g, Sodium 1456mg. Daily Values: Calcium 125.53mg 13%, Phos 298.93mg 30%, Copper 0.46mg 23%, Zinc 2.1mg 14%, Panto 0.65mg 7%, Magnesium 107.84mg 27%, Iron 10.84mg 60%, Vitamin B6 14%, Vitamin C 35%, Vitamin B12 0%, Vit E-a-Toco 1%, Vitamin A 8%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.