- Overnight soak - rinse and sort beans in a large pot. To 2 cups of beans add 8 cups of cold water and let stand overnight or 8 hours. Drain and rinse beans twice.
- Quick soak - rinse and sort beans in a large pot. To 2 cups of beans add 8 cups hot water . Bring to a rapid boil, boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain water and rinse beans twice.
- Place the oil in a large pot.
- Sauté ham hocks and ham for 3 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots and celery sautéing for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and 6 cups of water simmering for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender adding more water as needed.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Calories 230, Carbohydrates 12g, Cholesterol 50mg, Fat 12g, Fat Calories 103, Fiber 6g, Protein 18g, Saturated Fat 4g, Sodium 1029mg. Daily Values: Calcium 22.5mg 2%, Phos 52.71mg 5%, Copper 0.04mg 2%, Zinc 0.46mg 3%, Panto 0.1mg 1%, Biotin 1.09mcg 363%, Iodine 0.25mcg 0%, Magnesium 7.69mg 2%, Iron 2.08mg 12%, Vitamin B6 5%, Vitamin C 5%, Vitamin B12 2%, Vitamin D 1%, Vit E-a-Toco 1%, Vitamin A 35%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.