- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To prepare filling, drain thawed blackberries in a colander set over a bowl to catch the juices. Transfer juices to a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat until liquid becomes syrup consistency, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large bowl. Add blackberries and toss gently to coat; add lemon zest, lemon juice and syrup and mix to combine. Transfer to 9-inch deep dish pie plate, place pie plate on parchment-lined sheet pan, and bake 30 minutes or until filling is hot and bubbling around edges.
- To prepare biscuit topping, whisk baking mix and 1/4 cup sugar in a large bowl to combine.
- In small bowl, whisk melted butter, buttermilk and vanilla until well combined.
- In second small bowl, mix 2 teaspoons sugar with ground nutmeg; set aside.
- Remove filling from oven and increase oven temperature to 425°F.
- Add reserved wet ingredients to dry ingredients; stir gently until just combined. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and drop pieces evenly over hot berry filling, leaving at least 1/2 inch space between.
- Sprinkle dough with reserved sugar/nutmeg mixture and bake until filling is bubbling and biscuits are golden brown and cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Calories 219, Carbohydrates 42g, Cholesterol 12mg, Fat 7g, Fat Calories 61, Fiber 5g, Protein 2g, Saturated Fat 3g, Sodium 181mg. Daily Values: Calcium 51.93mg 5%, Phos 8.34mg 1%, Zinc 0.04mg 0%, Panto 0.03mg 0%, Biotin 0.15mcg 50%, Iodine 1.8mcg 1%, Magnesium 1.18mg 0%, Iron 1.14mg 6%, Vitamin C 6%, Vitamin B12 1%, Vitamin D 1%, Vit E-a-Toco 0%, Vitamin A 4%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.