- Sterilize jars and seals.
- Put clean tomatoes in boiling water for 30-45 seconds, and then plunge them into ice water. The tomatoes will be easy to peel as a result.
- Peel tomatoes and cut out cores or bad spots. Chop the tomatoes to desired size (they will cook down so leave them slightly larger than you want them to be in the salsa).
- Mix tomatoes, garlic, lime juice, salt, and cumin and bring to a boil.
- Add onion, peppers, and cilantro. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of liquid (to thicken the salsa).
- Put salsa in sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch of headroom.
- Wipe the rim of the jar, place sterilized seal on jar, and tighten the ring.
- Place jars in water bath for 15 minutes (time depends on altitude – more time for higher altitudes).
- Remove jars and let stand for at least 24 hours. Remove rings (optional) and store. If the jar did not seal, place it in refrigerator and use within a week.
Calories 44, Carbohydrates 9g, Fat 0.1g, Fat Calories 0.92, Fiber 2g, Protein 2g, Saturated Fat 0.02g, Sodium 205mg. Daily Values: Calcium 33.85mg 3%, Phos 11.06mg 1%, Copper 0.02mg 1%, Zinc 0.07mg 0%, Panto 0.06mg 1%, Biotin 0.72mcg 240%, Iodine 0.41mcg 0%, Magnesium 3.92mg 1%, Iron 0.99mg 6%, Vitamin B6 4%, Vitamin C 66%, Vit E-a-Toco 1%, Vitamin A 25%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.