- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare enchilada sauce: heat 1/4 cup oil in a medium skillet or heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour and chili powder and stir to blend. Whisk for 1 to 2 minutes or until cooked.
- Slowly add vegetable broth (or chicken broth), whisking until smooth.
- Add tomato sauce, cumin, garlic pepper and sugar and whisk to blend. Simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Reserve.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over low heat; heat each tortilla briefly (about 5-10 seconds) on each side to soften.
- To assemble enchiladas: place one tortilla on a flat work surface, arrange 1/4 cup shredded cheese down the center, roll closed and arrange, seam side down, in an oiled baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour the reserved enchilada sauce evenly over the top; sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Garnish enchiladas with shredded lettuce and pico de gallo.
Calories 808, Carbohydrates 41g, Cholesterol 122mg, Fat 59g, Fat Calories 532, Fiber 7g, Protein 30g, Saturated Fat 22g, Sodium 1584mg. Daily Values: Calcium 674.05mg 67%, Phos 44.39mg 4%, Copper 0.14mg 7%, Zinc 0.46mg 3%, Panto 0.28mg 3%, Biotin 2.88mcg 960%, Iodine 1.19mcg 1%, Magnesium 21.5mg 5%, Iron 2.59mg 14%, Vitamin B6 10%, Vitamin C 9%, Vit E-a-Toco 17%, Vitamin A 82%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.