- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 8-inch round cake pans and dust them lightly with flour.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, and baking soda in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar and mayonnaise, then beat in the water and vanilla.
- Gradually add in the dry mixture and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Make the frosting while the cake is baking.
- In a work bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter. Sift the sugar and cocoa powder together and gradually add to the butter, beating well after each addition. Add the cream and vanilla. Beat until well blended and fluffy.
- Remove the cake from the oven, remove the layers from the pans, and place them on wire racks to cool.
- Frost cake.
Calories 480, Carbohydrates 76g, Cholesterol 45mg, Fat 20g, Fat Calories 178, Fiber 2g, Protein 3g, Saturated Fat 10g, Sodium 269mg. Daily Values: Calcium 20.15mg 2%, Phos 65.11mg 7%, Copper 0.22mg 11%, Zinc 0.51mg 3%, Panto 0.15mg 2%, Biotin 0.26mcg 87%, Iodine 1.12mcg 1%, Magnesium 29.49mg 7%, Iron 1.48mg 8%, Vitamin B6 1%, Vitamin C 0%, Vitamin B12 1%, Vitamin D 3%, Vit E-a-Toco 3%, Vitamin A 10%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.