- Preheat an oven to 375ºF.
- Butter a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Spread the bread out on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large fry pan over medium heat, fry the bacon, stirring occasionally, until crispy and golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- In another large fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks, carrots and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread, bacon, the leek mixture, the 1 cup stock, milk, thyme, green onions, salt and pepper and stir gently to mix. If the dressing seems dry, add more stock as needed.
- Transfer the dressing to the prepared baking dish and bake until crispy and golden, about 1 hour. Serves 10 to 12.
- Note: If desired, you can pack the dressing loosely in the body and neck cavities of the turkey. Secure the neck flap with kitchen string or pin it to the back with toothpicks or trussing pins. Tying the legs together will help hold the stuffing in the body cavity. For turkeys weighing 16 pounds or less, add 30 minutes to the total roasting time. For turkeys weighing more than 16 pounds, add 1 hour to the total roasting time.