- PREPARATION FOR RED SAUCE:
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add onion and sauté over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, basil, salt and pepper; simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thick.
- PREPARATION FOR EGGPLANT:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly butter the bottom and sides of 8 individual 4x6 baking dishes.
- Place breadcrumbs in a large shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk eggs and 2 tablespoons water together.
- Season each eggplant slice with salt and pepper on both sides. Dredge each slice in flour, tapping off excess, dip in egg, and dredge in breadcrumbs. Shake off excess breading and transfer each eggplant slice to a baking sheet.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in sauté pans over medium heat. Working in small batches, fry a few of the eggplant slices, turning once, for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Using tongs, transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining eggplant.
- Cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish with some tomato sauce and arrange eggplant slices on top. Cover eggplant with more sauce, and grated Mozzarella. Repeat to make layers ending with the sauce. Top with the fresh Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until hot and just beginning to brown, about 30 minutes.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Calories 748, Carbohydrates 62g, Cholesterol 141mg, Fat 44g, Fat Calories 393, Fiber 10g, Protein 29g, Saturated Fat 15g, Sodium 1408mg. Daily Values: Calcium 401.69mg 40%, Phos 351.54mg 35%, Copper 0.47mg 24%, Zinc 2.59mg 17%, Panto 1.16mg 12%, Biotin 6.82mcg 2273%, Iodine 25.62mcg 17%, Magnesium 72.32mg 18%, Iron 4.07mg 23%, Vitamin B6 23%, Vitamin C 69%, Vitamin B12 22%, Vitamin D 6%, Vit E-a-Toco 14%, Vitamin A 52%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.