- In a large mixing bowl, toss the eggplant with enough salt to lightly coat each piece. Transfer to a colander set in a sink or in a large pan. Let stand for about 1 hour.
- Rinse the eggplant thoroughly under cold running water, drain well and pat dry.
- In a deep saute pan or fry pan over medium heat, pour in olive oil to a depth of 1 1/2 to 2 inches and heat to 350 degrees F. on a deep-frying thermometer, or until a chunk of bread turns golden in 20 to 30 seconds. Fry the eggplant in batches (do not overcrowd the pan) until the edges are just golden and the eggplant is tender, about 2 minutes. Using a skimmer or a slotted spoon, transfer the eggplant to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with the remaining eggplant. Transfer all the eggplant to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, toast the coriander, stirring often, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the extra-virgin olive oil and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the garlic and saute, stirring, until fragrant and just beginning to turn golden, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vinegar and orange juice. Pour half of the vinaigrette over the eggplant, stir to mix well and cool to room temperature.
- In another large mixing bowl, toss together the pine nuts, olives, red onion and parsley. Add half of the remaining vinaigrette, season with salt and pepper and stir to blend. Add the eggplant mixture and gently fold together. Add the remaining vinaigrette, to taste. Transfer the salad to a large platter or divide among individual plates. Garnish with a pinch of parsley and serve immediately. Serves 6.