- To prepare chocolate sauce: combine heavy cream, water and salt in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat; add chopped chocolate and 2 tablespoons butter to cream mixture. Whisk until chocolate is melted and sauce is smooth. Reserve.
- Combine strawberries and sugar in a medium size bowl and toss to blend. Add mixed fresh berries and gently stir to blend. Reserve.
- To prepare French toast: combine eggs and half & half cream in a shallow container and whisk to blend.
- Working in several smaller batches, dip sliced bread into batter to evenly coat; drain excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add soaked bread and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining slices.
- Serve hot topped with fresh berries, maple syrup (if desired) and warm dark chocolate sauce.