- Dip fingers in water and shape 2 rounded tablespoons chilled risotto into a (1 1/2") ball around a cube of Mozzarella. Roll in palm of hands to make a smooth ball. Place ball on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Repeat until you have formed 32 balls. Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigeration until ready to fry. (The recipe may be prepared a day in advance to this point.)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil to 360ºF-370ºF. (Use a deep fat or candy thermometer to gauge the temperature).
- Put flour, eggs and bread crumbs in separate bowls. For each risotto ball: roll in flour and shake off excess; dip in egg and let excess drip off; roll in bread crumbs; transfer to a baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Using a metal slotted spoon or skimmer, lower six balls into the oil. Fry until golden brown, approximately 3 to 3 1/2 minutes per batch of six. Transfer to a paper towel to drain. Repeat until all the balls are fried.
- The risotto balls are best if served immediately. They may be held in a 250ºF oven while the remaining balls are fried.
Calories 402, Carbohydrates 27g, Cholesterol 78mg, Fat 27g, Fat Calories 240, Fiber 0.98g, Protein 12g, Saturated Fat 8g, Sodium 378mg. Daily Values: Calcium 240.34mg 24%, Phos 87.37mg 9%, Copper 0.02mg 1%, Zinc 0.54mg 4%, Panto 0.22mg 2%, Biotin 3.01mcg 1003%, Iodine 12.29mcg 8%, Magnesium 5.34mg 1%, Iron 1.15mg 6%, Vitamin B6 2%, Vitamin B12 4%, Vitamin D 3%, Vit E-a-Toco 5%, Vitamin A 3%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.