- Separate sliced onions into rings, transfer to bowl and cover with buttermilk.
- Combine 1 cup flour, garlic pepper and salt in bowl and stir to blend.
- Combine 1 cup flour and beer in bowl and whisk to blend.
- Heat oil in deep heavy pan or deep fryer to 350°F.
- Working in small batches; remove onions from buttermilk and drain. Dredge in seasoned flour; shake excess. Dip in beer batter; drain excess.
- Carefully lower onion rings, one at a time, into hot oil (do not overcrowd) and deep fry until golden brown, turning several times during frying with tongs. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat process with remaining onion rings.
- Season with salt, if desired. Serve hot.