- Heat oil in a large sauce pot over medium-low heat. Add onions and, stirring occasionally, sweat until translucent and completely tender, approximately 15-20 minutes. Do not allow to brown. Add carrots and celery and continue to cook until softened, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- While the vegetables sweat, create a bouquet garni. Bundle the bay leaf and thyme with the celery rib and wrap several times with cooking twine to hold them together. Stick the pointed end of the cloves into the celery rib.
- Add chicken stock and bouquet garni to pot, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pot and gently simmer until flavorful, approximately 45 minutes. Remove the bouquet garni.
- While the soup simmers, prepare matzoh ball batter to package instructions, creating 24 balls 1" in diameter. Cook the matzoh balls as directed.
- To serve, place 3 matzoh balls in a soup bowl and ladle 10 ounce soup and vegetables over the balls. Garnish with parsley leaf.
Calories 182, Carbohydrates 18g, Cholesterol 47mg, Fat 11g, Fat Calories 100, Fiber 3g, Protein 4g, Saturated Fat 2g, Sodium 2458mg. Daily Values: Calcium 55.69mg 6%, Phos 44.5mg 4%, Copper 0.04mg 2%, Zinc 0.3mg 2%, Panto 0.32mg 3%, Biotin 5.06mcg 1687%, Iodine 7.17mcg 5%, Magnesium 8.6mg 2%, Iron 0.51mg 3%, Vitamin B6 5%, Vitamin C 11%, Vitamin B12 2%, Vitamin D 3%, Vit E-a-Toco 5%, Vitamin A 111%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.