- Combine the Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, and hot sauce in a large bowl.
- Place the chicken into the bowl of seasoning, toss to coat evenly, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes. The longer you marinate the chicken the more flavor.
- Remove the chicken from the dry spices, allowing any liquid to drip back into the bowl. Place chicken into a clean bowl.
- Heat vegetable shortening in a large cast-iron skillet until 350F, or use an electric deep fryer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mustard, and eggs. Whisk well.
- In another bowl, add the flour and season with Cajun seasoning.
- When oil is 350F, add chicken pieces to the skillet in batches, shaking off any excess flour before adding them to the oil. Be careful not to overcrowd your skillet, begin with larger pieces of chicken.
- Cook the chicken, using tongs to turn the chicken occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes, the juices will settle and it will be more pleasurable to eat.