- To prepare roux, heat 6 tablespoons olive oil in small heavy pan; add flour and whisk over medium heat, stirring constantly, until roux is a dark caramel color and has a toasted nut aroma. Remove from heat and reserve.
- In a heavy 4-quart soup pot (or gumbo pot), heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat; add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add ham, celery, green peppers, and garlic; sauté for 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add reserved roux and stir until all vegetables are coated.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth; add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, bay leaves, basil, thyme, oregano, okra, Cajun seasoning and salt.
- Stir until blended, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add shrimp and simmer an additional 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- To serve, portion rice in bowls and top with gumbo; garnish with minced green onions.
Calories 358, Carbohydrates 35g, Cholesterol 75mg, Fat 17g, Fat Calories 155, Fiber 3g, Protein 14g, Saturated Fat 2g, Sodium 1812mg. Daily Values: Calcium 93.54mg 9%, Phos 206.75mg 21%, Copper 0.2mg 10%, Zinc 1.02mg 7%, Panto 0.52mg 5%, Biotin 1.83mcg 610%, Iodine 0.62mcg 0%, Magnesium 27.06mg 7%, Iron 2.56mg 14%, Vitamin B6 16%, Vitamin C 30%, Vitamin B12 11%, Vitamin D 0%, Vit E-a-Toco 10%, Vitamin A 10%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.