- Preheat an oven to 450ºF.
- Bring a large pot three-fourths full of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the rutabagas, carrots and parsnips and simmer until the vegetables give slightly when pierced with a fork, about 4 minutes. Drain well.
- Place the rutabagas, carrots, parsnips, brussels sprouts and yams in a large roasting pan.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Add the olive oil, thyme, sage and nutmeg and stir to mix well.
- Drizzle the butter mixture over the vegetables and toss to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the Marsala into the bottom of the roasting pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil, toss the vegetables and continue to bake, uncovered, until the Marsala evaporates and the vegetables can be easily pierced with a knife, 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Place the roasted vegetables on a warmed platter and serve immediately.