- Combine sugar, vinegar, water, salt and spices in a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Wash beets and trim the stems, leaving about 1-inch of stem. Place the beets in a pot, cover with water and boil for 15-20 minutes, or until the beets are just tender. Drain, cool, peel and cut off stems.
- Place the beets, onions and eggs in a large jar and pour the sugar-vinegar mixture over them. Cover tightly, allow to cool, and store in refrigerator up to two weeks.
Calories 239, Carbohydrates 29g, Cholesterol 302mg, Fat 8g, Fat Calories 71, Fiber 3g, Protein 12g, Saturated Fat 3g, Sodium 362mg. Daily Values: Calcium 64.89mg 6%, Phos 199.66mg 20%, Copper 0.13mg 7%, Zinc 1.38mg 9%, Panto 1.4mg 14%, Biotin 16.97mcg 5657%, Iodine 43.48mcg 29%, Magnesium 31.12mg 8%, Iron 2.13mg 12%, Vitamin B6 11%, Vitamin C 9%, Vitamin B12 12%, Vitamin D 17%, Vit E-a-Toco 3%, Vitamin A 9%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.