- In a heavy pot with a lid, combine the celery, bay leaves, peppercorns and salt. Add 2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add the shrimp; re-cover the pot and bring stock back to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 3 minutes or until pink.
- Remove from heat and uncover. Let shrimp cool in the stock.
- When cool enough to handle, peel shrimp, returning to the stock until ready to pickle the shrimp.
- PICKLING INSTRUCTIONS:
- In large bowl, place a layer of boiled shrimp. On top, place 4 bay leaves and half of the slices of one onion. Continue doing this, layer upon layer, until all shrimp are used.
- Mix remaining ingredients and pour over the shrimp.
- Cover bowl and set aside, stirring occasionally.
- After 12 hours, taste shrimp and adjust seasoning. If too tart, add more sugar.
- Serve arranged on a serving platter or bowl.
Calories 125, Carbohydrates 4g, Cholesterol 143mg, Fat 5g, Fat Calories 41, Fiber 0.48g, Protein 16g, Saturated Fat 0.61g, Sodium 733mg. Daily Values: Calcium 68.12mg 7%, Phos 285.06mg 29%, Copper 0.22mg 11%, Zinc 1.15mg 8%, Panto 0.39mg 4%, Biotin 0.97mcg 323%, Iodine 0.55mcg 0%, Magnesium 27.97mg 7%, Iron 0.33mg 2%, Vitamin B6 11%, Vitamin C 5%, Vitamin B12 21%, Vitamin D 1%, Vit E-a-Toco 7%, Vitamin A 4%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.