- Bring chicken stock to a simmer. Whisk in polenta.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until tender, whisking frequently. Add butter.
- Line a deep-rimmed baking sheet with wax paper. Pour polenta onto tray and spread evenly to 1’ thick. Allow to cool at room temperature; transfer to refrigerator and chill for a minimum of two hours.
- Remove polenta from the refrigerator when completely chilled and firm. Cut circles into the polenta using a 2’ cookie cutter. Scoop out the centers of each polenta circle with a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, taking care not to make a hole in the bottom of the circle. Polenta cups may be prepared up to 2 days in advance at this point.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Season beef with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add meat to pot, searing on all sides until dark brown. Remove meat from pot.
- Add shallots and garlic to the Dutch oven. If necessary add remaining oil. Sweat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook until paste becomes fragrant and dark red, approximately 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add flour.
- Whisk in beef stock, breaking up any lumps. Add wine and fish sauce. Simmer over low heat until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Add the reserved beef to the sauce and bring to a boil. Cover and place in oven. Cook until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. (Sauce should continue to be at a light simmer while in the oven. If the sauce stops simmering bring it back to a simmer on the stove top and return to the oven.)
- Remove the beef from the sauce, cover and reserve.
- Strain sauce through a fine mesh strainer and reserve.
- Shred beef while warm, discarding any pieces of fat. Toss shredded beef with some of the reserved sauce to coat. Reserve warm.
- Warm polenta cups in a 250ºF oven and fill with shredded beef.
Calories 515, Carbohydrates 29g, Cholesterol 110mg, Fat 27g, Fat Calories 245, Fiber 2g, Protein 32g, Saturated Fat 9g, Sodium 1351mg. Daily Values: Calcium 82.64mg 8%, Phos 179.06mg 18%, Copper 0.13mg 7%, Zinc 6.1mg 41%, Panto 0.58mg 6%, Biotin 0.03mcg 10%, Magnesium 25.79mg 6%, Iron 6.34mg 35%, Vitamin B6 17%, Vitamin C 20%, Vitamin B12 32%, Vitamin D 3%, Vit E-a-Toco 6%, Vitamin A 16%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.