- Mix flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt; set aside. Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually stir in flour mixture until well mixed. Refrigerate dough about 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface* to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into shapes with favorite cookie cutters. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- For the Glaze, mix all ingredients except food colors. (Stir in additional milk as needed to thin Glaze or more confectioners' sugar to thicken, if needed.) Place small amount of glaze into small shallow bowls, using one bowl for each color desired. Stir drops of food color into glaze until desired shade is reached.
- To decorate cookies, hold cookie by its edge and dip top of cookie into glaze. (Or spoon the glaze onto cookie using a teaspoon.) Place glazed cookies on wire rack set over foil-covered baking sheet to dry. (The foil-covered baking sheet will catch drips.) Add decorative details to cookies as follows: Spoon tinted glaze into resealable plastic bag. Snip off a tiny piece of the corner. Squeeze glaze through hole in plastic bag to decorate cookies. If desired, colored Sugar may be sprinkled onto freshly glazed cookies.