- In a large heavy sauté pan, melt butter and sauté onions on medium heat, stirring frequently for about 15 to 20 minutes until onions are caramelized to a rich golden brown. (The butter will foam as the water content of the butter and onions boils off.)
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and mix to blend. Cook over low heat for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add hot chicken stock, whisking constantly, cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until thickened.
- At this point the gravy “base” can be refrigerated for a day or two, if desired.
- To finish the gravy, heat gravy base over medium-low heat. Add fresh thyme, cream, salt and pepper. Whisk to blend.
- Simmer over low heat until warm.
Calories 266, Carbohydrates 10g, Cholesterol 66mg, Fat 25g, Fat Calories 221, Fiber 1g, Protein 2g, Saturated Fat 15g, Sodium 952mg. Daily Values: Calcium 25.32mg 3%, Phos 32.13mg 3%, Copper 0.04mg 2%, Zinc 0.17mg 1%, Panto 0.14mg 1%, Biotin 2.2mcg 733%, Iodine 1.76mcg 1%, Magnesium 8.47mg 2%, Iron 0.39mg 2%, Vitamin B6 4%, Vitamin C 8%, Vitamin B12 1%, Vitamin D 5%, Vit E-a-Toco 2%, Vitamin A 15%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.