- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Strain diced tomatoes, reserving juice. Combine diced tomatoes, olive oil, salt and black pepper in bowl; gently toss to blend. Place on baking sheet lined with foil and roast uncovered for 20 minutes; reserve.
- Melt butter in heavy soup pot, add onion and celery and cook over medium-low heat until onions are golden and tender.
- Add flour and stir to blend; cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth, reserved tomatoes and juice, basil and sugar, stir until fully blended.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir to blend. Serve garnished with additional Parmesan, if desired.
Calories 322, Carbohydrates 23g, Cholesterol 47mg, Fat 23g, Fat Calories 200, Fiber 3g, Protein 7g, Saturated Fat 12g, Sodium 1348mg. Daily Values: Calcium 138.33mg 14%, Phos 76.64mg 8%, Copper 0.05mg 3%, Zinc 0.42mg 3%, Panto 0.16mg 2%, Biotin 1.28mcg 427%, Iodine 0.53mcg 0%, Magnesium 10.72mg 3%, Iron 2.3mg 13%, Vitamin B6 3%, Vitamin C 78%, Vitamin B12 3%, Vitamin D 3%, Vit E-a-Toco 4%, Vitamin A 44%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.