- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and saute, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add kale (or spinach) and cook, stirring, until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, salt, pepper, and seasonings, then bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.